CBS News reports that “Skin tends to be drier during winter months because there’s less moisture in the air…cold winds outside and hot, dry, heated air inside” [Source]. We all know this is true and have felt its effects at some point or another, for some of us we experience a wave of dry skin every year. Here are 5 things that I found useful in planning ahead to keep my skin at its finest this winter.
- Use sunscreen when you go outside for any season. Especially if there is snow because the sun sure reflect off that!
- Wear gloves even if it doesn’t seem too cold out to protect them from the wind. And make sure they are dry gloves to avoid irritation.
- Use a humidifier to put moisture back in the air that central heating systems take away. An alternative (and cheaper) idea is to keep a bowl full of water above your radiator, if you have one.
- Take shorter/cooler showers. Avoid super hot showers/baths which will surely dry out your skin. Many sources recommend just 10 minutes.
- Use Plain Soap! Everyday Health suggests to “avoid soaps with deodorants, fragrance, or alcohol because they can strip your skin of its natural oils” [Source].
Hope these tips will help you start off the winter months right! Let me know if you have any additional suggestions that work well for you!
Yahoo was also a source of information.